[SR-Users] Kamailio 4.0.4 slow memory leak
Heenan, Timothy Steven
2014-08-11 23:40:59 UTC
Greetings,

I'm running into a slow memory leak on my kamailio 4.0.4 SIP proxies. I'm observing a steady increase in the memory consumption until there is no more left. Kamailio then starts repeating this in the logs:

ERROR: dispatcher [dispatch.c:279]: add_dest2list(): no more memory.

What would be the best way to debug this kind of a memory leak? The proxy does not handle any registrations but does route a fair amount of calls.

Thank you in advance,
Tim Heenan
Engineer I - VoIP Wholesale | Windstream
timothy.heenan-***@public.gmane.org<mailto:email-***@public.gmane.org> | windstreambusiness.com<http://www.windstreambusiness.com/>
o: 847.348.1338 | f: 847.963.0116

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
2014-08-12 09:17:02 UTC
Hello,

can you give the list of loaded modules? How much memory did you
allocate (-m parameter value)?

It will narrow down searches to see if there was anything similar fixed
since 4.0.4.

To troubleshoot easier, would be good to recompile with MEMDBG=1, then
the details of chunks in memory can be dumped and analysed.

Cheers,
Daniel

On 12/08/14 01:40, Heenan, Timothy Steven wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I’m running into a slow memory leak on my kamailio 4.0.4 SIP proxies.
> I’m observing a steady increase in the memory consumption until there
> is no more left. Kamailio then starts repeating this in the logs:
>
> ERROR: dispatcher [dispatch.c:279]: add_dest2list(): no more memory.
>
> What would be the best way to debug this kind of a memory leak? The
> proxy does not handle any registrations but does route a fair amount
> of calls.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> *Tim Heenan*
>
> *Engineer I - VoIP**Wholesale | Windstream*
>
> timothy.heenan-***@public.gmane.org <mailto:email-***@public.gmane.org>|
> windstreambusiness.com <http://www.windstreambusiness.com/>
>
> o: 847.348.1338 | f: 847.963.0116

> This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the
> intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the
> original message and any attachments.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Next Kamailio Advanced Trainings 2014 - http://www.asipto.com
Sep 22-25, Berlin, Germany ::: Oct 15-17, San Francisco, USA
Heenan, Timothy Steven
2014-08-12 19:37:21 UTC
Hi Daniel,

Here's a list of the modules I'm running:

mi_fifo
db_mysql
sl
kex
tm
tmx
rr
xlog
maxfwd
usrloc
registrar
textops
pv
acc
permissions
siputils
auth
lcr
dispatcher
sanity
debugger
siptrace

We're setting the memory allocation to 256 ( -m 256 -M 64 ).

I'll see about recompiling with MEMDBG=1.

Regards,
- Tim

________________________________

Heenan, Timothy Steven
2014-08-19 17:14:13 UTC
Do you think any of these modules possibly causing this issue?

-Tim

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
2014-08-26 08:54:05 UTC
Hello,

I quickly looked over the modules that use shared memory and I couldn't
spot a commit related to any leak.

Have you had the chance to compile with MEMDBG?

Cheers,
Daniel

Heenan, Timothy Steven
2014-08-26 15:34:23 UTC
Thank you.

I have recompiled with MEMDBG, however I am not observing any additional output in my log files.
I think I have something set incorrectly in kamailio.cfg.

Here are my log settings from Kamailio.cfg

debug=3
log_stderror=no
log_facility=LOG_LOCAL0
memdbg=2
memlog=2
modparam("debugger", "cfgtrace", 1)
modparam("debugger", "log_level", 2)
modparam("debugger", "cfgpkgcheck", 1)
modparam("debugger", "mod_level", "core=2")
modparam("debugger", "mod_level", "tm=2")
modparam("debugger", "mod_level", "dispatcher=2")
modparam("debugger", "mod_level", "siptrace=2")

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
2014-08-26 15:45:40 UTC
It is not needed to see the memory operations logs. Just to dump the
chunks in memory.

You would need ctl and ctl_rpc modules (iirc -- they should be in the
default config file), then run:

kamcmd cfg.set_now_int core mem_dump_shm 1

Extract the logs of the dump from the shared memory and send them over.

Send also the output for:

kamctl mi get_statistics shmem:

Cheers,
Daniel

Heenan, Timothy Steven
2014-08-26 20:42:56 UTC
I have attached is the output of "kamcmd cfg.set_now_int core mem_dump_shm 1" to this email. I had to restart Kamailio to load ctl and ctl_rpc, so let me know if I need to do another one after some time passes and calls are processed.

Also, here is the output of "kamctl mi get_statistics shmem:"

shmem:fragments = 398
shmem:free_size = 259170720
shmem:max_used_size = 9265184
shmem:real_used_size = 9264736
shmem:total_size = 268435456
shmem:used_size = 8559768

Thanks!
-Tim

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
2014-08-27 22:21:48 UTC
The logs suggest some leaks in dispatcher module -- it allocates shared
memory only for caching routing records. Few more questions I need to
get the answers in order to troubleshoot further.

How many records do you have in dispatcher table? Is it in database or
the text file?

How ofter do you reload? What is the command you use for reload?

Cheers,
Daniel

Heenan, Timothy Steven
2014-08-27 23:56:15 UTC
Thank you for the help.

For dispatcher, I'm using a database that contains about 700 records.

A reload is performed via cronjob every 5 minutes. The command being used is:

kamctl dispatcher reload

Thanks,
-Tim

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
2014-08-28 10:02:50 UTC
Looking at the logs, there are 1336 URIs, which seems ok given your
numbers, because the module keeps also the previous set of records
(needed because at reload time there can be kamailio worker processes
using the records -- perhaps we can improve a bit here, I will review
the current reload code a bit, since it was a contribution from another
developer quite long time ago).

Some more questions:
- how many destination sets (groups) do you have? Can you estimate the
minimum and maximum addresses in a set?
- when did you take the memory log? In other words, for how long was
kamailio running? Did you wait enough to notice the steady increase of
memory usage?

Cheers,
Daniel

Heenan, Timothy Steven
2014-09-03 20:27:34 UTC
I have about 460 destination sets. In each set I could have from 1 address up to 6.

When I took that initial memory log, Kamailio had been restarted shortly beforehand. I just took another one after the system had decayed so Kamailio was responding to Invites with "SIP/2.0 500 No error (2/SL)." (exhibiting the issue after a few days) and the log is about 400Mb! I'll attach a small snippet.
Seems to be going on and on about the dispatcher module.

-Tim

Heenan, Timothy Steven
2014-09-08 15:48:04 UTC
After restarting Kamailio on September 3rd, the problem has again gotten to the point of no call processing.

Here are the memory statistics; additionally, I can see the virtual memory has ballooned up to 400mb again.

shmem:fragments = 2378
shmem:free_size = 209840
shmem:max_used_size = 268393216
shmem:real_used_size = 268225616
shmem:total_size = 268435456

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
2014-09-08 16:11:20 UTC
Were you taking the memory logs after the errors, before restarting?

I didn't get the chance to look over the previous email, I will do it soon.

Daniel

Sep 22-25, Berlin, Germany
Daniel-Constantin Mierla
2014-09-11 14:59:11 UTC
Short note to say that last log you sent had more leads, and apparently
there is a leak at least in 4.0.

I need a bit more time to look at it and check if still on master and
4.1 (hopefully event later today) - I will come back with an update
about it soon.

Daniel

Sep 22-25, Berlin, Germany
Heenan, Timothy Steven
2014-09-11 16:03:53 UTC
Thanks for your help Daniel!

-Tim

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
2014-09-11 20:44:57 UTC
I pushed a patch to master branch, hopefully fixing the leak:

-
http://git.sip-router.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi/sip-router/?a=commit;h=7fb8c88c1d4aeb50d1e637697132ab0994dcdb28

Before backporting, I need to have it tested and be sure is not having
side effects.

For 4.0.x, if you installed from sources, either try to cherry pick the
commit via git or edit the file:

modules/dispatcher/dispatch.c

and replace existing function destroy_list(...) with:

void destroy_list(int list_id)
{
ds_set_t *sp = NULL;
ds_set_t *sp1 = NULL;
ds_dest_t *dest = NULL;

sp = ds_lists[list_id];

while(sp)
{
sp1 = sp->next;
for(dest = sp->dlist; dest!= NULL; dest=dest->next)
{
if(dest->uri.s!=NULL)
{
shm_free(dest->uri.s);
dest->uri.s = NULL;
}
}
if (sp->dlist != NULL)
shm_free(sp->dlist);
shm_free(sp);
sp = sp1;
}

ds_lists[list_id] = NULL;
}

Let me know the results and if all ok, I will backport.

Cheers,
Daniel

Sep 22-25, Berlin, Germany
Heenan, Timothy Steven
2014-09-15 15:49:55 UTC
Thank you!

I will test this on my 4.0.4 setup and report back how it works.

Thank you,

Sep 22-25, Berlin, Germany
Heenan, Timothy Steven
2014-10-14 20:43:42 UTC
I've tested this patch pretty thoroughly. Afterwards, I've pushed it to our production environment and have not seen the problem recur.
This has fixed the problem!

Thanks for the patch Daniel, I would definitely support its inclusion in a backport for Kamailio 4.0.X .

Thanks!
-Tim

Sep 22-25, Berlin, Germany
Daniel-Constantin Mierla
2014-10-15 10:00:50 UTC
Thanks for reporting back. After 4.2.0 release I will try to get the
time to release another 4.0.x version, to include this fix as well.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla